Mocksports Forums Forum Index Mocksports Forums
leagues of extraordinary gentlemen

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Access to Draft Room

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Mocksports Forums Forum Index -> FBB 2014
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Shiffrin
Frozen for DNA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Access to Draft Room Reply with quote

I tried to get access to conference room A, but needed a plug in to do so an update of JAVA. Then access was denied on security grounds because the site had no license. (Is it possible to get one?). JAVA discouraged making an exception for the site on security grounds, but indicated in a piecemeal way that exceptions could be made if two sites were included, namely
http://backpack.webmaster.com/backpack/cr.zip
http://baseball.mocksports.com/ms_irc.htm
I made exceptions for these sites, but was then denied access on the ground that no exception had been made for the backpack site even though it has.
Any advice? Turning off the computer and turning it back on does not help.
Is it possible we could use a different conference room for our drafts? Every year drafts are delayed because someone is frozen out.

I notice that this was a problem last year and Shane had a work around using MIRC http://forums.mocksports.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=12939.
Still we had problems last year that a JAVA license might address and there must be a place that we could use where access is easier than that available on our site.
Mike_Cameron
Frozen for DNA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Flash" link worked for me. And usually almost nothing works for me. On a PC.

2005 and 2008 SNIDER Champs... chumps everywhere else
gashouse
Frozen for DNA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the flash link for the Snider auction. It worked but was unstable, I got froze out several times.
dabob
In the pantheon of greats

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Had the same issues with the Java site. I updated the url for the exception but the java security would still not let me in.

The Flash site worked although last year I recall it was touch and go.

I went to the MRC but it looks like I will need to re-register since my trial expired. Did not go that route yet.

Bob
ShaneVG
Frozen for DNA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

dabob wrote:
I went to the MRC but it looks like I will need to re-register since my trial expired. Did not go that route yet.

You can usually just "Ok" or whatever your way through those messages. It may close the first time, but the second time used to let me though. (New computer is still in the trial period, so I can't test it.)
ShaneVG
Frozen for DNA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I posted in my prep for Snider. Other than a couple of drop-offs (that returned after a few minutes) I didn't note any problems.

We have two different web interfaces for the conference rooms. The Flash room seems to be the most reliable.

Flash Interface - Do enter your team name and order (TEAM-02 - numbers cannot be first) in the initial window. Leave the password blank.
http://baseball.mocksports.com/ms_flash.htm

Java Interface - Do not enter anything in the initial screen. Let the room load, then enter the team name and order using two digits (such as TEAM-02)
http://baseball.mocksports.com/ms_irc.htm

<NOTE - I have tested both of these options, as well as the back door, with my Windows 8 laptop via Chrome and IE. The Java Interface is old, and so may be blocked unless your Java security is reduced to the minimum setting (medium). Follow the instructions here - http://www.java.com/en/download/help/jcp_security.xml - and set the Security Level to "Medium">

I encourage everyone to try both of these options! It will be good to have alternatives.

There also seems to be a "back door" at http://backpack.webmaster.com - Enter your TEAM-02 as the nickname, leave the password blank, and then change the room to #Mocksports. Hit "Connect" This is a much more basic interface, but should get the job done. TEST THIS LINK! PREPARE TO USE THIS IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS WITH THE MOCKSPORTS PAGES!!!

If you have time, you might want to play it safe and just download mIRC: http://forums.mocksports.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=12939
dabob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Shane,

Thanks for the post. That helps a lot and is for sure to save time during the drafts.

Bob
Steve Shiffrin
Frozen for DNA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane
Thanks! Java also works on windows 7 when JAVA security is set to medium. And mIRC works even better for my purposes because the window can be adjusted.
ShaneVG
Frozen for DNA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Shiffrin wrote:
And mIRC works even better for my purposes because the window can be adjusted.

If you're good at figuring out how to find the server (which isn't really that hard), I recommend mIRC. Macs have some kind of IRC programs, of course, but I don't know anything about those.
Steve Shiffrin
Frozen for DNA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is easy to find the server if you follow the instructions you previously wrote in this link http://forums.mocksports.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=12939.
dabob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Status Reply with quote

For what it is worth it looks like if you used MIRC last year you will have to pay $20 to use it this year. At least, that is what I have been able to discover. If anyone knows another way to activate a free trial that would be great.

The Flash stopped working for me but the backdoor that Shane posted did work. Okay, now I can get it so maybe I need to wait longer between log ins.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow night.

Bob

Feller
Bell
Sparky
Bob
Clemente
Pale Ale
ShaneVG
Frozen for DNA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Status Reply with quote

dabob wrote:
For what it is worth it looks like if you used MIRC last year you will have to pay $20 to use it this year. At least, that is what I have been able to discover. If anyone knows another way to activate a free trial that would be great.

If you "OK" or whatever through it, mIRC will close. But reopen it, "OK" it a time or two again, and it'll let you use it.

At least, that's what worked on my old computer (my new one is still in the initial evaluation mode.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Mocksports Forums Forum Index -> FBB 2014 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: