Mocksports Forums Forum Index Mocksports Forums
leagues of extraordinary gentlemen

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mocksports FBB 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Mocksports Forums Forum Index -> FBB 2014
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where is our future?
1A - $50, same manual leagues
46%
 46%  [ 14 ]
1B - $50, changing to fit OnRoto's existing options
43%
 43%  [ 13 ]
2A - Move someplace cheap and change our rules
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
2B - Move someplace expensive in hopes they can accommodate our rules
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 30

ShaneVG
Frozen for DNA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, if we chose option 1A, we are going to have to change the way we do our LAs.

We've tried the "pro" approach and maintain an LA that is not involved in the league he is administering.

It seems that being an LA tends to burn an owner out. 26 straight weeks of processing transactions....... even if only a "couple" of hours a week, is a lot. I tried it again this year, and frankly I can't keep it focused and have had to be bailed out a time or few, especially late in the year. It makes playing the game distinctly unfun.

We're at the point where we have more players to fill leagues than we have "unbiased" administrators to run them.

For a league to survive, an LA will need to come from the ranks of the owners in that league. That way, the LA is invested in the league itself, and can help keep it going. We will still have to have an independent FAAB processor, but they'll just pass the winning bids to the LA.
Steve Shiffrin
Frozen for DNA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I participate in an on roto standard league. FAAB bidding is once a week and so is picking up a player on waivers. If a player is waived, he stays on the waiver wire for a week and if he is not picked up he becomes a free agent the next week and thereafter. Ties for waivers or free agent bids go to the team that is lower in the standings. In making FAAB bids, you could bid for player A, try to get player B off waivers, and failing that try for another player on waivers or a free agent etc.
In the league I am in trades are put into the site and the commissioner has to approve them. If we abandon the forums, on roto seems to me to be the best site.
Tout Wars uses onroto for all three of its leagues. The National Fantasy Baseball Championship leagues use STATS (I am in one of their satellite leagues), It is certainly quite good, but I believe it is more expensive than onroto, and I do not see any advantage to it.
ShaneVG
Frozen for DNA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Shiffrin wrote:
FAAB bidding is once a week and so is picking up a player on waivers.

Is it a weekly transaction league or a daily league? I think it can be set either way.
waters96
Grizzled vet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the LA system and the Forum. I know it's a lot of extra work, but to me it's what makes Mocksports unique.
Steve Shiffrin
Frozen for DNA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane
The league I describe above is a weekly transaction league. I have no knowledge whether daily transaction leagues are possible, but daily FAAB transactions would be crazy even if possible. My impression is that daily leagues are ordinarily employed when benches are deep enough to permit substituting pitchers in and the like. The real question might be how often FAAB is permissible under their structure and how often is FAAB desirable. I assume the kind of FAAB we have been using is not supported by their software or they would have told us.
Crosley
Frozen for DNA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waters96 wrote:
I like the LA system and the Forum. I know it's a lot of extra work, but to me it's what makes Mocksports unique.

The work gets to be routine after awhile, actually. I get behind on transactions only because this year - due to some LA changes midseason - I was running 3 leagues. Shane has normally limited that load to a maximum of 2 leagues per LA.

And I like the forums and and LA system, too. We'd be losing nearly all of the personal part of Mocksports, which is the enormous advantage it has on the mass-market sites like ESPN.

“Frankly, I don’t like the guy, but I never saw a hooligan I did like. They’re like left-handed pitchers – they all have a screw loose somewhere.”

― Anthony Caruso (as Louis Ciavelli), The Asphalt Jungle
Steve Shiffrin
Frozen for DNA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree entirely. I was not an LA this year because my league folded. I would have taken on a different league this year and would do so next year.
Mike_Cameron
Frozen for DNA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a whack at being an LA once and failed miserably so I am reluctant to ask anyone else to pick up that duty. But I must admit that I find the LA system to be one of MockSports most endearing qualities.

2005 and 2008 SNIDER Champs... chumps everywhere else
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Mocksports Forums Forum Index -> FBB 2014 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: