Page 1 of 1

Ohtani returns

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:21 pm
by Crosley
For those owners who have Shohei Ohtani on reserve, should he be activated by the Angels as planned this week, he may be activated as either a pitcher or hitter in Mocksports leagues. Keep in mind that if he is activated now as a hitter, he must remain a hitter only for the rest of the 2018 season. Once he becomes a hitter, his position cannot be changed back to pitcher until the 2019 season.

I'll get a ruling from the Commish about Ohtani's exposure to autowaivers should an owner wish to keep "Ohtani the pitcher" reserved and NOT activate him as a hitter only.

Re: Ohtani returns

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:01 pm
by Rick Smetana
Crosley wrote:For those owners who have Shohei Ohtani on reserve, should he be activated by the Angels as planned this week, he may be activated as either a pitcher or hitter in Mocksports leagues. Keep in mind that if he is activated now as a hitter, he must remain a hitter only for the rest of the 2018 season. Once he becomes a hitter, his position cannot be changed back to pitcher until the 2019 season.

I'll get a ruling from the Commish about Ohtani's exposure to autowaivers should an owner wish to keep "Ohtani the pitcher" reserved and NOT activate him as a hitter only.

If Ohtani was designated as a pitcher before, he will not be allowed to be moved to a hitter until after the season ends. The same is also true, if he was designated as a hitter, he cannot be changed to a pitcher if he should return to pitching this season.

If he goes through free agency (FAAB Bidding), the winning team can designate him at either hitter or pitcher, which cannot be changed until 2019 season.

Re: Ohtani returns

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:42 pm
by geoflin
Rick Smetana wrote:If Ohtani was designated as a pitcher before, he will not be allowed to be moved to a hitter until after the season ends. The same is also true, if he was designated as a hitter, he cannot be changed to a pitcher if he should return to pitching this season.

If he goes through free agency (FAAB Bidding), the winning team can designate him at either hitter or pitcher, which cannot be changed until 2019 season.

This is different from what we were told previously:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19101

Re: Ohtani returns

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:45 pm
by Rick Smetana
geoflin wrote:
Rick Smetana wrote:If Ohtani was designated as a pitcher before, he will not be allowed to be moved to a hitter until after the season ends. The same is also true, if he was designated as a hitter, he cannot be changed to a pitcher if he should return to pitching this season.

If he goes through free agency (FAAB Bidding), the winning team can designate him at either hitter or pitcher, which cannot be changed until 2019 season.

This is different from what we were told previously:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19101

I really don't remember saying that, but if I did, then it stands.

Re: Ohtani returns

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:46 pm
by Steve Shiffrin
If Ohtani is owned as a pitcher and that can not be changed, I see no reason why his activation as a batter should require his activation as a pitcher. We would need a determination that he has been activated as a pitcher, but his current activation is as a batter and we should not be blind to that.

Re: Ohtani returns

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:21 pm
by Steve Shiffrin
On Roto now has an option that permits Ohtani the pitcher to be kept on the DL. The Commish in my non-mock fantasy league is using that option.

Re: Ohtani returns

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:29 pm
by Rick Smetana
After some discussion, we have decided to allow the following three options:

1) activate him as a hitter if they choose but, per the discussion in 'Ohtani returns' posted across all of the forums, he would have to remain a hitter until the start of the 2019 season;

2) activate him (inexplicably) as a pitcher;

3) leave him reserved as a pitcher without activating the autowaiver clock.

Re: Ohtani returns

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:44 am
by Crosley
And to extend Rick's clarification above, if Ohtani is used as a pitcher by the Angels again later this season, he will become subject to autowaiver beginning on a date announced at that time in the forums.