New Stat Site Provider?

New Stat Site Provider?

Postby Rick Smetana » Tue May 02, 2017 11:44 am

Hello guys!

As most of you know I am finally back home recovering from my surgery. First of what I want to say is THANKS!

Without all of you plus several others from what I can tell, Mocksports would have never kicked off the 2017 season. My surgery put me in a big bind and all of you stood up and took more of the load to make that happen, and I truly appreciate it.

I want to get your opinion on moving away from having the LA perform every transaction. OnRoto is never going to be able to handle this task for us, but if were to move to stat service from OnRoto to FanTrax, we would be able to accomplish that without too much difficulty.

I think we need to do something as it seems no one wants to step up and help out as a League LA (I am now LA'ing 4 leagues).

1.) OnRoto not adequately covering our needs. I talked with them about creating a special Farm System for our Minor League Roster, and was told that it was already in the works and that we would love the new design. Well, I don't see any difference from what I saw last year.

2.) As hard as it is to get people to volunteer to be the league administer for a league or two, I think we need to find a way to move towards having each owner perform their own transactions.

As for how that would work, I think I am leaning towards moving all of Mocksports stats provider to Fantrax. Each owner would have to make their normal post of the Mocksports board, but in addition, they would go to fantrax and physically make the move for their team. The LA would only have to make sure that the post on the board was made and that the move was made on Fantrax.

To get everyone familiarized with FanTrax, I have taken BELL's rosters as of 4/24/17, and put them into a Mocksports BELL league on Fantrax. You will all be getting an invite to that league as soon as you receive this email. Please play around with this all you want and then I am going to ask your opinion if you think this would work for our leagues. Seriously, I want some input back from this.

There were a couple of positional problems I had to change from the exact Bell rosters, such as:

REDZ - Marco Hernandez is not 2B qualified on Fantrax, so I shuffled my lineup and inserted Blake Rutherford into my OF
Cobbstoppers - Canha did not qualify at OF, so I inserted Tyler O'Neill from your minor league
Flager Beach Bums - Motter did not qualify at OF, so I installed Naquin in your OF

In case you do not get the invite, or for some other reason have problems, go to Fantrax.com and enter the following:

League Join ID: Mocksports-Test
League Password: Mock-MLB

Thanks,
Richard Smetana
Rick Smetana
DodgerBlu@aol.com
Rick Smetana
The Commish

Re: New Stat Site Provider?

Postby waters96 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:17 pm

Hi Rick,

I signed up today, and will play around with it and give some input. I am happy to make whatever changes are necessary to keep us viable.

I am hoping you continue to feel better every day.

P.S. Your new Drysdale avatar is very cool.
Bob Steinberg
Schmohawks East - Banks NL (2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017 Champions)
Schmohawks on Ice - Bell AL (2013, 2014, 2015 Champions)
waters96
In the pantheon of greats

Postby Steve Shiffrin » Tue May 02, 2017 3:57 pm

I complained that the standings were not accurate before I saw that you inputted as of April 24. Thanks for the hard work!
I am curious what the difficulty with OnRoto is that will not permit individual owners to input their own transactions manually.
Clemente Champion 2016
Berra Champion 2014
Steve Shiffrin
Frozen for DNA

Postby geoflin » Tue May 02, 2017 5:54 pm

I notice that Saves is the current category - does the site allow our current Saves plus Holds/2?
Geoff
Feller - Blue Sox
Bell - Sapphire Sox 2016 Champions
Bob - Indigo Sox
Robinson - Azure Sox 2017 Champions
geoflin

Postby Rick Smetana » Wed May 03, 2017 2:41 pm

geoflin wrote:I notice that Saves is the current category - does the site allow our current Saves plus Holds/2?

No it allows Saves + Holds/2, I did not get the settings set correctly.
Rick Smetana
DodgerBlu@aol.com
Rick Smetana
The Commish

Postby Rick Smetana » Wed May 03, 2017 2:45 pm

Steve Shiffrin wrote:I complained that the standings were not accurate before I saw that you inputted as of April 24. Thanks for the hard work!
I am curious what the difficulty with OnRoto is that will not permit individual owners to input their own transactions manually.

The rosters are from April 24th, so the standings and stats will not be the same as OnRoto.
Rick Smetana
DodgerBlu@aol.com
Rick Smetana
The Commish

Postby geoflin » Fri May 05, 2017 4:06 pm

I'm in support of an option allowing owners to submit their own moves so an LA doesn't have to do so. Although Fantrax has a different look and feel than OnRoto, I'm sure I could get used to it as could others. So if we can find ways to make other differences work (FAAB, allowable positions) I'm in favor of the move.
Geoff
Feller - Blue Sox
Bob - Indigo Sox
geoflin

Postby geoflin » Sat May 06, 2017 2:09 pm

Rick - please check the Bell transactions thread for May 3 through May 6. There are a few situations that occurred which I'm not sure how Fantrax would have handled. I left a post in the Bell thread with my questions.
Geoff
Feller - Blue Sox
Bob - Indigo Sox
geoflin

Postby Steve Shiffrin » Sat May 27, 2017 10:31 am

I am in a league that uses Fantrax. It has a fee collection system that was attractive to our administrator. If it is necessary to switch to it, fine. But it is not user friendly (and I am told not designed by people well versed in fantasy baseball). Two owners have waived players they intended to reserve because the software is unclear as to how to reserve and claim. Fantrax is annoyingly not operative on occasion- this morning is an example, but I would not say that is typical. Those in the league I am in will surely shift back to OnRoto (the administrator - a Tout Wars veteran - is fed up on other grounds), but if Onroto will not permit individual owners to make transaction, then I assume we will have to shift to Fantrax - though I would say it is decidedly inferior to OnRoto.
Clemente Champion 2016
Berra Champion 2014
Steve Shiffrin
Frozen for DNA

Postby Steve Shiffrin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:32 am

One other note on fantrax. It handles players on waivers and free agents entirely separately. So in a 12 team AL, my co-owner and I wanted to put Brad Miller on reserve and pick up a player. In our first section, we went after Romine who was on the waiver wire and got him. In our second section, in case we got neither of the waiver wire players we claimed, we had bids for four free agents also putting Miller on reserve. The software awarded us Goins despite the fact that Miller had been put on IR when Romine was acquired. Because waivers and free agent claims are entirely separate, it is not possible to avoid this problem. We have complained to fantrax. Perhaps, they will fix this. In onroto, this is not a problem. It's claiming system works smoothly.
Clemente Champion 2016
Berra Champion 2014
Steve Shiffrin
Frozen for DNA

Postby geoflin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:43 am

Steve Shiffrin wrote:One other note on fantrax. It handles players on waivers and free agents entirely separately. So in a 12 team AL, my co-owner and I wanted to put Brad Miller on reserve and pick up a player. In our first section, we went after Romine who was on the waiver wire and got him. In our second section, in case we got neither of the waiver wire players we claimed, we had bids for four free agents also putting Miller on reserve. The software awarded us Goins despite the fact that Miller had been put on IR when Romine was acquired. Because waivers and free agent claims are entirely separate, it is not possible to avoid this problem. We have complained to fantrax. Perhaps, they will fix this. In onroto, this is not a problem. It's claiming system works smoothly.

Why would you need to put in 4 free agent claims? Why wouldn't your first one go through immediately if the player was available?
Geoff
Feller - Blue Sox
Bob - Indigo Sox
geoflin

Return to FBB 2017