Question about minor league keepers for next year

Question about minor league keepers for next year

Postby geoflin » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:57 am

It looks like my A5 player (Mejia) in an AL league just got traded to the NL so I won't be keeping him next year. Do we still plan to have all minor leaguers have their salaries increase by $1 per year? If so, how will this work with an open $5 slot should I keep the other 4 players - would the B4 player become A5, the C3 become B4, etc. leaving me with an open E1 slot, or does something different happen? If salaries don't increase I assume I have an open A5 slot.
Also, as I'm guessing someone will ask this question eventually, if an owner keeps all 5 of his minor leaguers and salaries increase by $1, will he now have players at A6, B5, C4, etc.?
Geoff
Sparky - Blue Sox
Bell - Sapphire Sox 2016 Champions
Bob - Indigo Sox
Robinson - Azure Sox 2017 Champions
geoflin
In the pantheon of greats

Re: Question about minor league keepers for next year

Postby Crosley » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:02 pm

I'm speaking for the Commish here, so take it with a shaker of salt. I think salaries may well be frozen for minor leaguers. (I remember seeing this in a post from Rick earlier this year, contrary to the sketchy MiLB roster rules laid out when minor leaguers were added.) If that's not the case, you could conceivably have A6, B5, etc. players. Players will NOT move up in slot, only in salary. The slot designation determines which round you would have the chance to make a new pick, so if you lose a first-round pick from 2018, you should have a first-round pick in 2019. Again, my opinion/impression/intention only, so don't take it to the bank yet.

To address your specific example with Mejia moving to an NL franchise (and I wish Cleveland luck with leaning on Hand so heavily), you will have an A5 slot open. All of your other minor leaguers could be frozen in their current slots. If you freeze everyone but Mejia, you would have only a first round pick.

Remember that who can and can't be kept on a minor league roster for the start of 2019 remains to be seen, with players being called up in the wake of what I think may be a pretty active trade deadline. I love the addition of the minor leaguers in Mocksports, but it sure complicates an LA's job! :wink:
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?"

― Jim Bouton
Crosley
Frozen for DNA

Re: Question about minor league keepers for next year

Postby Rick Smetana » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:44 pm

geoflin wrote:It looks like my A5 player (Mejia) in an AL league just got traded to the NL so I won't be keeping him next year. Do we still plan to have all minor leaguers have their salaries increase by $1 per year? If so, how will this work with an open $5 slot should I keep the other 4 players - would the B4 player become A5, the C3 become B4, etc. leaving me with an open E1 slot, or does something different happen? If salaries don't increase I assume I have an open A5 slot.
Also, as I'm guessing someone will ask this question eventually, if an owner keeps all 5 of his minor leaguers and salaries increase by $1, will he now have players at A6, B5, C4, etc.?

Minor leaguer salaries are frozen if not activated from the minor league roster. If you open a $5 slot, you would have a first round pick next year to fill that slot the rest of your minor leaguers would remain at the same salary (B4, C3 etc).
Rick Smetana
DodgerBlu@aol.com
Rick Smetana
The Commish

Return to FBB Rules