Changes that I am looking to make in 2016

Changes that I am looking to make in 2016

Postby Rick Smetana » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:36 pm

I am looking to make the following subtle changes in 2016:

I am hoping to de-emphasize closers and make all relievers relevant, so I am planning on changing Saves (SV) with Holds + Saves (HOSV) = (Holds + Saves).

I want to again de-emphasize batting average, and make it more relevant to what actual baseball is all about. I feel that it is more important to get on-base any way you can, not only by getting a hit, but by the walk, being hit by the pitch etc. You cannot score if you do not get on base, so I am planning on doing away with Batting Average (BA) in 2016, and replacing it with On-Base Percentage (OBP) = ((H+BB+HP)/(AB+BB+HP+SF)) .

I have added both new stats on the display categories so you can start the preparation of the 2016 season. You will be able to determine what keepers for next season, are currently available this season, and will help you when it comes to you freezes and the draft next year.
Rick Smetana
DodgerBlu@aol.com
Rick Smetana
The Commish

Re: Changes that I am looking to make in 2016

Postby egritegan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:26 am

A great idea! Thanks, Rick!
Tom P. Egan
tompegan@gmail.com

Dire Wolves - GIBSON NL
Baymen of Belize - 2017 SNIDER NL CHAMPS!
Crazy 88's - Back To Back '06/'07 Snider NL Champs

"So I’m ugly. So what? I never saw anyone hit with his face."
~Yogi Berra
egritegan
In the pantheon of greats

Postby TomL » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:25 pm

Rick,

I am in favor of both moves. I've been in leagues with Holds and Saves as two different categories; I always thought that was a little overkill.
I like the idea of Saves+Holds.

Tom L.
BooBirds
Morgan Champs: 2011
Gibson Champs: 2013, 2014
Snider Champs: 2015, 2016
TomL

Postby waters96 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:56 pm

I don't know if this is up for "vote", but if it is, I would like to stay with Saves as an independent category. Non-closers offer WHIP, ERA and Wins, plus they can become Closers. But I think they should be worth less than Closers.
Bob Steinberg
Schmohawks East - Banks NL (2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017 Champions)
Schmohawks on Ice - Bell AL (2013, 2014, 2015 Champions)
waters96

Postby Steve Shiffrin » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:32 pm

I think changes of this sort should be announced at the beginning of the season. I think many owners have acquired closers on the expectation that they would be worth more than they will be worth next season if the change is enacted then. I say this without regard to my own teams. In fact, in Bell I traded away my only closer. This rule change would help me there. I just think changes of this sort require greater notice though I think the move to OBP is not as significant. Still I would wait on that as well.
Clemente Champion 2016
Berra Champion 2014
Steve Shiffrin
Frozen for DNA

Postby Rick Smetana » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:16 am

Steve Shiffrin wrote:I think changes of this sort should be announced at the beginning of the season. I think many owners have acquired closers on the expectation that they would be worth more than they will be worth next season if the change is enacted then. I say this without regard to my own teams. In fact, in Bell I traded away my only closer. This rule change would help me there. I just think changes of this sort require greater notice though I think the move to OBP is not as significant. Still I would wait on that as well.

Nothing has changed for this season! I announced this so that owners could plan for 2016, not the rest of the season. This WILL NOT take effect until the beginning of next year!

I announced it now to give owners time to prepare for next year, if they saw something that might be worthwhile in 2016. It is only for planning purposes for this year.
Rick Smetana
DodgerBlu@aol.com
Rick Smetana
The Commish

Postby Steve Shiffrin » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:48 am

Rick
My point is that owners who started looking to next year did so earlier this year and made moves accordingly. Late notice is better than no notice at all, but it is still too late.
Steve
Clemente Champion 2016
Berra Champion 2014
Steve Shiffrin
Frozen for DNA

Postby Rick Smetana » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:06 pm

All I can say was that there was discussion about at the beginning of the year, all I did was make it official!
Rick Smetana
DodgerBlu@aol.com
Rick Smetana
The Commish

Postby waters96 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:01 pm

Rick, Steve's point I think is that some of us, including Steve and me, have already made moves this year that will affect our teams in 2016. We can't entirely undo those moves we've already made with the expectation that closers would have more value than they will if these changes are made for the 2016 season. In my particular case, the proposed changes will help one of my teams and hurt one of my teams, so my interest is in looking at the bigger picture, not necessarily trying to seek an advantage for my teams. The better solution I think is to make whatever changes you want at least one full season before you want to put them into effect. I don't think anybody is against improving the competition, I just think it would be better to give more notice before implementing changes we haven't even agreed on yet.
Bob Steinberg
Schmohawks East - Banks NL (2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017 Champions)
Schmohawks on Ice - Bell AL (2013, 2014, 2015 Champions)
waters96

Postby geoflin » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:10 pm

I'm inclined to agree with Steve and Bob in terms of waiting to institute the changes in the pitching categories to 2017. I don't think the change from AVE to OBP affects things very much, but the change from Saves to Saves + Holds is a significant change. Many owners, myself included, traded for, traded away, or declined to trade closers assuming their value for next year was a known factor. This change affects (lowers) the value of closers and trades that were made or not made earlier this season might have been looked at differently had all owners known that the value of closers next year would be different than it is this year. I would prefer to see a compromise solution and institute the change in offense in 2016 and the change in pitching in 2017.
Geoff
Feller - Blue Sox
Bell - Sapphire Sox 2016 Champions
Bob - Indigo Sox
Robinson - Azure Sox 2017 Champions
geoflin

Postby koufax96 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:32 pm

I have to say that I'm not thrilled by these changes either. I feel that reducing the value of saves diminishes the amount of skill and strategy necessary for fantasy baseball.

The whole point of closers is that they posses a scarce yet necessary skill set (very much like steals). At best if we're really combining saves and holds, I'd expect a hold to be worth about half of what a save is worth since saves are much scarcer to come by (I'd guess that there are at least four times as many holds each year than saves since holds can be acquired in all sorts of situations by all sorts of pitchers). I'm less concerned about OBP, but I don't think that sacrifices (bunts or flies) should count as outs.
Jacob Weisman
jw@tachyonpublications.com
Schmohawks East
Schmohawks on Ice

2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017 BANKS NL Champions
2013, 2014, 2015 BELL AL Champions
koufax96
Impact player

Postby Steve Shiffrin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:12 pm

I have a suggestion for a change that would go well with the saves/holds new category and is justifiable in any event. I have noticed that some owners do not draft starters. They draft two (or three) closers and fill out the staff with middle relievers. This leaves them a lot of money to pay for hitters which they can dominate while winning three pitching categories. The holds/saves category makes this approach even more tempting. An owner need not pay for two or three closers (and closers will be cheaper in any event) making the approach cheaper to get pitchers and leaving even more money to spend on hitters.
Tout Wars for some time has blocked this strategy with a minimum innings pitched requirement of 950 innings. Here is their rule: "Each team is required to attain a minimum of 950 innings pitched in order to qualify for placement in the pitching categories of Baserunners Ratio and Earned Run Average, and a minimum of 4,200 At Bats for placement in the category of Batting Average. If these minimum levels of playing time are not achieved, the team will receive 1 standings point in those categories affected no matter where they finish. Every other team that meets the minimum requirements will receive their normal standings points (Category standings will not be artificially adjusted to accommodate a team that falls short of a playing time requirement.)"
Clemente Champion 2016
Berra Champion 2014
Steve Shiffrin
Frozen for DNA

Postby Steve Shiffrin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:18 pm

And while I am proposing rules, next year, I think we should permit the stats of those traded out of the league to count for the rest of the season. It makes our game more skill-oriented and less harsh. I believe Tout Wars has done this for many years.
Clemente Champion 2016
Berra Champion 2014
Steve Shiffrin
Frozen for DNA

Postby Joe Izzo » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:07 pm

I ended the season with 4 closers on my roster last year and due to trades/free agency all four are either no longer closers or are being challenged for the job. Assuming they will get holds instead of saves, I suppose they will still be valuable. Will have to give this some serious thought.
Fowlballs in BOB AL
2017 FBB LA for Robinson AL and Banks NL
Joe Izzo
Frozen for DNA

Postby Dave Graeff » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:54 pm

I'm looking to make plans for weekends in March and am looking for auction dates. When will we know about rules changes and auction dates?
dgraeff@sprynet.com

Gibson NL Champs 2012
Snider NL Champs 2012 and 2014
Dave Graeff
Frozen for DNA

Return to FBB 2015