whatever happened to....

There's no such thing as "off topic."

Postby Mike_Cameron » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:10 pm

stirrups????

I was watching the Cubs game and thought I saw a hint of stirrup on Juan Pierre. That was the first sighting I've noticed in ages. So many players have gone to the pajama pants and show no sock at all. And those that do hitch'em up seem to have forgotten the style statement of the stirrup. Are they simply no longer being worn at all?

I miss'em. Especially the ones stretched out to a pencil width high up the calf! Always was a legman! :rolleyes:
"I'm throwing as hard as I ever did, but the ball is just not getting there as fast." Lefty Gomez
Mike C.

2005 and 2008 SNIDER Champs... chumps everywhere else
Mike_Cameron
Frozen for DNA

Postby Joe Izzo » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:13 pm

My daughter's softball team uses the stirrup look one piece sock. My son's baseball team uses solid colored socks. I always wore my up high back in the day.

Joe
Fowlballs in BOB AL
2017 FBB LA for Robinson AL and Banks NL
Joe Izzo
Frozen for DNA

Postby Crosley » Wed May 03, 2006 2:58 pm

Catch an Astros game - both Oswalt and Pettitte were visibly attired in stirrups when they pitched against Cincinnati last weekend. I've noticed a number of other players - both Reds and visitors - wearing the "high socks" in the last few years.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?"

― Jim Bouton
Crosley
Frozen for DNA

Postby Mike_Cameron » Wed May 03, 2006 3:08 pm

I see the socks but not the "stirrup".... that strap thatruns under the arch. Seems like its just socks now but I may be wrong. Many of the black players wear the high sox in emulation of the old negro leagues a la Pierre.
"I'm throwing as hard as I ever did, but the ball is just not getting there as fast." Lefty Gomez
Mike C.

2005 and 2008 SNIDER Champs... chumps everywhere else
Mike_Cameron
Frozen for DNA

Postby Crosley » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:20 am

Update from GABP:

Juan Pierre still sports the high socks. Apparently he's also using them instead of a bat at the plate...
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?"

― Jim Bouton
Crosley
Frozen for DNA

Return to Chatter