So, you like fantasy baseball?

There's no such thing as "off topic."

So, you like fantasy baseball?

Postby Scammer Doug » Wed May 12, 2010 3:36 pm

Figured it was worth a shout.

If you like fantasy baseball, and like the old baseball boardgames of old (Pursue the Pennant, Strat-o-matic, APBA) then I may have the fix for you.

The Internet Baseball League (IBL.org) is a group of guys who use the Pursue the Pennant play system along with the cards from the previous year, in a Dynasty League configuration. You play games either face to face (they have a nice, simple IRC interface for this) or simply supply information to your opponent and they play out the game solitaire and post the results. They have drafts for rookie players, an All-Star game, playoffs, the whole nine yards. It takes a couple hours a week to get the games in, which you're actually playing out, controlling the lineups, making the pitching changes, etc... And because it's a Dynasty League, you're building for the future along with playing for today.

I mention this because there are currently a couple of teams ownerless. The heads of the league go through normal channels looking for boardgamers to fill the slots, but I thought it might be worth a shout out to FBB'ers.

So, if you're interested in learning more, head on over to IBL.org and check out the site. If you want more information, pm me and I'll do my best to oblige.

Thanks for reading.

Doug Palmer
Detroit Stags - Purple People Eaters (2006 League Champs)
Sacraficial Rams - Monsters of the Midway
FORMER member/champ of GEHRIG AL
FORMER member/champ of YAZ AL
Scammer Doug
In the pantheon of greats

Postby Gillestar » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:13 am

TY!!
Gillestar
Frozen for DNA

Postby Scammer Doug » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:29 pm

Figured I'd bump this thread from a year ago.

The IBL is 22 years strong. I've been playing for the last 3, finally getting a team that....well....it still sucks. But makes watching the games so much more interesting. My team has youngsters who I managed to draft or trade for, so now, when I'm watching the games, their performance this year will help next. Confused?

The IBL plays a full 162 games season. Each week, you play 6 games (3 home, 3 away). And you actually PLAY the games. Your roster is made up of your players with cards (read: stats) from the previous year. So, I've got Starlin Castro. He's my starting shortstop. His stats from last year are reflected on the cards that I use this upcoming season. I want to run him alot? My choice in the games. Want to bat him 2nd against lefties? Again, my choice!

And with it being a "legacy" type league, these players will grow (or die) with me. I can hold onto as many players from year to year as I like. So now, I have a seriously vested interest in the likes of Mr. Castro. Just like FBB!

And the realism really makes it fun too. The stats from the previous year? Well, you also can't over-use players. For example, Manny Machado is now mine thanks to this years Free Agent draft. Now, Manny didn't play a lot last year for the Orioles. So, if I use Manny, I have to keep it between 75% and 125% of his real playing amount. So, Manny had 202 plate appearances last year. So I can only use him a MAXIMUM of 250 plate appearances. Any more, and I lose his rights for next year and he becomes a free agent. Same with the minimum. I miss the minimum cut off, and I lose him (like that's gonna happen).

The engine for the game is the Pursue the Pennant boardgame. If you've ever played any board baseball games (i.e. APBA, Strat-o-Matic, Statis-Pro) then you're familiar with the idea. The games are quick, but encompass everything that baseball can offer. Weather, stadium effects, wind aided homers....it's there.

Is it Fantasy Baseball? No. In fantasy baseball, you draft players and watch them perform for you, evaluating talent based on todays values. In the IBL, you accumulate them and use them to win or lose. IBL has some of the strategy depth that traditional FBB doesn't. Not that FBB is a bad thing! I love it to death. But the IBL scratches a different itch.

So, if you're interested in what you've read (and I appreciate your making it this far), head on over to IBL.org and poke around. Sitemail me here if you have questions. I'm no expert, but I can certainly give you an idea of what its like for a relative newbie.

Thanks

Doug Palmer
Baltimore Sand Crabs
Internet Baseball League
Detroit Stags - Purple People Eaters (2006 League Champs)
Sacraficial Rams - Monsters of the Midway
FORMER member/champ of GEHRIG AL
FORMER member/champ of YAZ AL
Scammer Doug
In the pantheon of greats

Return to Chatter