Expand the Minor League In-Season

Limited to (5) MiLB players with frozen rosters, but expand to a max of (8) players as of 5/01.

Poll runs till Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:44 am

Agree
50%
Disagree
50%
No Opinion
No votes

Total votes : 10

Expand the Minor League In-Season

Postby Rick Smetana » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:44 am

Limited to a maximum of (5) MiLB players when frozen rosters are submitted, but expand the roster size to a maximum of (8) players as of May 1st of each year.
Rick Smetana
DodgerBlu@aol.com
Rick Smetana
Frozen for DNA

Re: Expand the Minor League In-Season

Postby Joe Izzo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:34 pm

I agree. Helps to make trading Minor League roster players easier.
Fowlballs in BOB AL
2017 FBB LA for Robinson AL and Banks NL
Joe Izzo
Frozen for DNA

Postby LarryZ » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:23 pm

How are the 3 additional minor leaguers going to be chosen? What will their salary be?
LarryZ
10-and-5'er

Postby waters96 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:50 pm

Participation in the minor League draft was very low in my leagues. I don't want to keep expanding this part of the game because of inactive players creating a extra advantage for those who participated. I don't love scouting minor-league players and I believe we've already got enough of them on the rosters. It's nice that we can use some FAAB for top prospects who somehow slipped through the draft.
Bob Steinberg
Schmohawks East - Banks NL (2011, 2012, 2013, 2016 Champions)
Schmohawks on Ice - Bell AL (2013, 2014, 2015 Champions)
waters96
In the pantheon of greats

Postby Rick Smetana » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:22 pm

LarryZ wrote:How are the 3 additional minor leaguers going to be chosen? What will their salary be?

They won't be filled unless there is a trade for them. You will freeze 5 minor leaguers, and then you can only accumulate the additional minor leaguers by way of trade, and then only have a max of 8 minor leaguers total.
Rick Smetana
DodgerBlu@aol.com
Rick Smetana
Frozen for DNA

Postby Rick Smetana » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:24 pm

waters96 wrote:Participation in the minor League draft was very low in my leagues. I don't want to keep expanding this part of the game because of inactive players creating a extra advantage for those who participated. I don't love scouting minor-league players and I believe we've already got enough of them on the rosters. It's nice that we can use some FAAB for top prospects who somehow slipped through the draft.

We would not be drafting any additional players, just filling the holes in the five frozen rosters spots.

As I noted above, the additional three players can only obtained via trade, then the following year, you can only freeze five of total eight minor league players.
Rick Smetana
DodgerBlu@aol.com
Rick Smetana
Frozen for DNA

Postby waters96 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Thanks for the clarification.
Bob Steinberg
Schmohawks East - Banks NL (2011, 2012, 2013, 2016 Champions)
Schmohawks on Ice - Bell AL (2013, 2014, 2015 Champions)
waters96
In the pantheon of greats

Postby jumpngeorge » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:55 am

Couldn't extra minor leaguers simply go to the reserve list which would put them into the +4 per season salary schedule rather that +1 (is that what happens to mi or league salaries?) Let's imagine a scenario where someone has an absolutely loaded minor roster with 5 Bryce Harpers and 3 Clayton Kershaw all coming up in May. How are you compete with that? Putting extra minor leaguers on the normal reserve would force the acquiring player to put the acquired minor leaguers on their freeze at higher salaries than if they were on the minor league roster. Since we can do this already, there really aren't any barriers to trading minor league players.

Are we saying that there are 5 only 5 slots at the beginning of every season that would require players to release or freeze enough of their minor league rosters to get down to 5 each spring? I might be ok with that
jumpngeorge
10-and-5'er

Postby Steve Shiffrin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:18 am

I think the minor league draft has damaged mocksports. It makes it more difficult for teams to rebuild (because every team now goes after an equal number of prospects). It makes it more difficult for teams to trade. It has an unnecessarily complicated salary structure. It could be one price for batters and a lesser price for pitchers (this would make trading easier). The proposed rule would make trading easier as well.
Clemente Champion 2016
Berra Champion 2014
Steve Shiffrin
Frozen for DNA

Postby Crosley » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:28 pm

I have to disagree, Steve. I don't think that we've damaged Mocksports FBB at all with the minor league draft. It seems to me that it can put some of the uber-prospects in the hands of owners who either choose not to bid on in-season call-ups or aren't as aggressive in pursuing those prospects BUT are still active owners for the most part. (I manage three leagues here and I could name an owner or two in each who fit that description.) The minor league roster introduces franchise-type thinking alongside the day-to-day grind of managing a fantasy team. It also puts some trade power in the hands of those same "passive/aggressive" owners, which should allow them to rebuild more quickly.

Where I have a problem is making my mind up on this poll question. While I sympathize with those owners who have been forced to drop a minor leaguer or two in a trade - I'm one of them - I also see some value in forcing owners to make hard decisions when acquiring prospects for current talent. I now have less than 24 hours to decide, so I guess I finally have to do so.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?"

― Jim Bouton
Crosley
Frozen for DNA

Postby Crosley » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:30 pm

And I can guarantee you that Rick and I are very receptive to suggestions for streamlining the minor league draft process. I think the length of time it took to complete it in each league is the major deterrent to participation.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?"

― Jim Bouton
Crosley
Frozen for DNA

Return to FELLER AL League